The firm has represented both professional athletes and agents in contract and commission disputes before panel arbitrators selected by the National Football League Players Association (NFLPA), and the National Basketball Players Association (NBPA), handled disciplinary appeal proceedings on behalf of agents suspended or fined by the NFLPA and NBPA, litigated the enforceability of mandatory arbitration clauses contained in athlete-agent contracts, and handled appeals of player and coach’s violations of league substance abuse, PED, and code of conduct policies. We also provide counseling to professional sports agents, recruiters, and other agency support personnel regarding federal and state athlete-agent laws, and NCAA and university athletic department recruiting regulations and registration requirements.
- Successfully prosecuted copyright and trademark infringement action on behalf of the estate of Michael Jackson against proprietor of website masquerading as authorized purveyor of client’s catalog of music and memorabilia.
- Obtained dismissal of claims asserted by professional basketball agent against former NBA player, Ira Newble, in Michigan state court and arbitration before the NBPA. Dismissal of state court litigation was upheld on appeal to the Michigan Court of Appeals and Michigan Supreme Court.
- Represented prominent National Football League contract advisor in multiple disciplinary appeals before the NFLPA Committee on Agent Regulation.
- Represented multi-platinum recording artist, Ginuwine, in claims brought against his former record label for breach of contract and fraud. Case settled for client following full day mediation.
- Successfully represented well-known professional football agency in numerous commission disputes with former clients.
- Represented well-known professional basketball agent, Steve Kauffman, in a commission dispute with former professional basketball client.
- Represented former Houston Rockets player, Bonzi Wells, in claims for breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty and professional negligence against his former agent before the NBPA.
- Represented well-known sports agent and sports executive, Lon Rosen, in commission dispute with former NBA coach client.
- Defended Detroit Pistons star, Dale Davis, in arbitration proceedings brought by former agent before the NBPA. Matter settled on eve of arbitration on terms substantially in favor of client.
- Represented the Los Angeles Clippers in lawsuit against former head coach, Bill Fitch, for breach of contract and fraud. Case settled on eve of trial for client.
- Represented Willie Lyles, a Texas-based scouting service provider, as part of NCAA investigation into the University of Oregon’s football program.
- Represented former NFL assistant coach in appeal of his termination under the NFL Conduct Policy.
- Represented the Los Angeles Angels, in variety of matters, including arbitration with cable sports provider, dispute with the local municipality, and potential claims arising out of the purchase of the franchise from a media conglomerate.